Table of contents
What is borage oil?
Borage oil is a vegetable oil that contains an exceptionally high content of gamma linoleic acid, a fatty acid that has an anti-inflammatory effect.
Where does borage oil come from?
Borage oil is made from the seeds of the borage plant, the borago officinalis and is often referred to as the star plant because of its star-like shape and the tremendous impact it has on the people who use it. The plant is mainly grown in Europe and North America.
Why Use Borage Oil?
Borage oil is a very versatile oil with some powerful properties:
- Natural anti-inflammatory properties
- May soothe arthritis
- Combats eczema and other skin conditions
- Can stimulate respiratory system function
Natural anti-inflammatory properties
Due to the rich presence of gamma-linolenic acid, borage oil has an anti-inflammatory effect. Omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids play an important role in fighting disease, as they help remove molecules responsible for the body's inflammatory responses. Gamma-linolenic acid is present in very small amounts in some edible plants and nuts, but most people are deficient in it. Using borage oil can make up for this deficiency.
May soothe arthritis symptoms
Scientific research shows that the gamma-linolenic acid present in borage oil can be used as a natural remedy for arthritis.
Combats eczema and other skin conditions
Research has shown that gamma-linolenic acid can improve skin fat deficiencies. When the skin cannot produce enough protective oils on its own, the result is often inflammation and other reactions from our body's immune system, including eczema.
Supplementing the body with borage oil as a natural remedy for eczema can be a cure for people who are not producing enough essential fatty acids to keep the skin in optimal health.
May stimulate airway function
Borage oil can help improve our lung functions. It can also help recover from a cold or flu faster.
Cosmetic Use of Borage Oil
Borage oil is often taken as a supplement for its internal anti-inflammatory properties, but it's also a great product to care for your skin for a few reasons:
- Reduces skin inflammations: this is what borage oil is known for! It is so rich in linoleic acid that it is very suitable for treating skin conditions such as acne, pimples, eczema and others..
- It protects the skin. Borage oil is very quickly absorbed by the skin. It forms a light protective film over the skin that can protect it from external environmental factors that can damage our skin.
Borage oil is an excellent choice for people with:
- A sensitive skin. If you often suffer from redness or inflammation, borage oil can help soothe and calm the skin.
- Acne prone skin. Borage oil is very suitable for people with oily skin. It is a light oil that does not feel greasy and helps to rebalance the skin.
- A mature/dry skin. The protective qualities of borage oil help to better retain moisture in the skin.For people with very dry skin, we recommend mixing borage with avocado oil and applying it to the skin. Avocado oil is a super booster, and this combination will hydrate your skin like never before.
How can you use borage oil?
You can and may use borage oil both in the morning and in the evening. Many people find it less pleasant to use a facial oil in the morning, because it often leaves the skin a bit greasy. Then definitely try borage oil, which feels very light on the skin.
Below you can find some recipes to make your own natural care products:
Borage Oil Serum Recipe
- 1 tablespoon argan oil
- 1 tablespoon prickly pear oil
- 1 tablespoon borage oil
- 4 drops of neroli oil
- 3 drops patchouli oil
Preparation method: Mix all ingredients in a bottle and shake before use.
Skin serum for mature skin:
- 1 tablespoon borage oil
- 1 tablespoon rosehip oil
- 2 tablespoons almond oil
Preparation method: Mix all ingredients in a bottle and shake before use. Apply a few drops to your hands and massage gently into the skin morning and evening.
- 1 tablespoon of borage oil
- 1 teaspoon apricot kernel oil
- A few drops of almond oil
Preparation method: Mix all ingredients in a bottle and shake before use. Apply a few drops to your hands and gently massage the mixture around your eyes.
Where can you buy borage oil?
You can buy borage oil here at You Madu. Our borage oil is cold-pressed and 100% natural.